Facebook can be very powerful for small business owners. It is a fact that today, almost every business has a Facebook business page. It serves as social proof that you’re current and actively running your business. The business page allows you to share content with your customer base, while also providing important information like contact information, business hours, and employees. Your business page also gives your customers the ability to leave reviews and ratings, which is the strongest form of social proof. Similar to Instagram, Facebook is a great way to connect with customers about your business.
How to set up your business page:
The first step to marketing on Facebook is creating a business page. It will allow you to reach a larger audience and gives you access to marketing tools such as their analytics tool and Facebook advertisements. Having a Facebook page is also necessary to switch your regular Instagram account to a business account.
Here’s how to get started:
To create your new business page, visit this link. You’ll need to add:
- Your business name and bio: This is the name of your business, and your bio tells your followers what you do and any other quick info!
- A profile photo and cover photo: For your profile photo, use your logo or a photo that best represents your business. The cover photo is a longer picture that will be at the top of your profile. Use a picture of your farm or your team! Make sure you are using high-quality photographs.
- A call to action button: This is a button that will be found at the top of your page. It is an action that will direct your customers to a certain place. Put a link to your online store or email address!
Now that you have created your page, you can:
- Personalize your profile: After setting up your profile, you can continue to personalize it by adding your story, shop section, services, etc.
- Publish new content: Now that your page is set up, you can start adding content! By adding content, your page appears active and will help you hook followers!
- Message your customers: Now your customers can message your business and ask questions one-on-one!
- Promote your page: If you have a large customer following on your personal Facebook account, you can invite friends to like your new page.
Now that you have set up your page, it’s time to start using it. Here are some of the best practices for using a Facebook Business page:
Having uniform and attractive branding allows your business to become recognizable amongst customers. You should strive to have consistent branding amongst all of your platforms. Similar to other social media platforms, on Facebook, you can upload a profile and cover photo, and a bio. Ideally, these features should be the same amongst all platforms to ensure customers identify your brand immediately. It is a smart tip to have your profile photo as your logo.
Be personal and active
Food is personal! We cannot mention this enough. People want to know who is growing/producing their food - so do not hesitate to share this! Share information about who you are and what you do. Additionally, it’s important to be active on your platform. When people send you direct messages or engage with your content, the quicker you respond the better! It shows the customer that you care and sets a tone for future customer service.
Post sticky and relevant content
Individuals follow interesting accounts. Use this platform to share beautiful photos of your farm, products and your team. This ties into the personal aspect of food, however, make sure to upload high-quality photos. You can also link your Instagram and Facebook pages, which allows any Instagram photos to also be shared on your Facebook page.
Alternatively, Facebook is a great place to upload any blog posts you’ve written about your products or the production process, website links, recipes, and any other content that isn’t photo-related. You want your feed to be a good mix of beautiful, ‘sticky’ content and relevant links and posts - such as, how to order, delivery schedules, new products, etc. The fine balance of this will make the experience enjoyable for customers and will attract new ones.
Create a content-posting schedule
With any marketing strategy, it can be very helpful to plan your posts ahead of time. This will save you time in the long run and help you create a curated feed. Spend some time at the beginning of the week and determine what information that week you would like to share. Any great photos or articles you haven’t shared yet? Create a list of posts and determine which day and time you would like to post them. You can use tools such as Hootsuite or Sprout that allow you to schedule posts ahead of time and will send them out automatically! Don’t stress if there are other posts you end up wanting to share and the schedule doesn’t exactly play out. It is a great way to keep you on track and make sure you are staying active and present on the platform!
This is an essential step for any marketing strategy! After you have been using the platform for a while, take some time to assess your results.
- What posts received the greatest engagement?
- Have you obtained any feedback from your customers?
- Has your following increased or decreased over time? Has it stayed the same?
These are all important questions to answer. The best way of tracking these results is to use Facebook Insights! By assessing your past, you will be able to re-work and adjust your strategies to better succeed in the future.